Monday, 24 October 2011

Catching up in no particular order..

Have just realised that cpd23 has come to an end and I'm still trailing behind. So, time to tie up a few loose ends and then reflect on the whole process and what I got out of it.

First then - Thing 21

The last job application I did was for my present job, in 2006, so when I started preparing for Chartership I decided it was time to review my CV and look at my current skills and experience. I have to admit that in the past my job applications were rather informal and mainly consisted of an application form in which I tried to match my experience and skills to the job description, so my CV hadn't needed to be updated. It was only when my children were looking for advice on how to create their own CVs that I realised how unprofessional mine was and so I started looking at online advice and examples of other people's CVs.

I think what's important is to be able to take a step back and look at what you've done, what you've got out of it, how you've contributed, and how you've developed your skills and competencies through what you've experienced. Then you need to focus on how these new skills could be useful in other situations and jobs. Transferable skills is what its all about. And having self confidence. You've got more to offer than you think so don't be shy in promoting yourself.

Wish I could practice what I preach! I have to admit that I'm rubbish at interviews and all the wonderful stuff about myself that I'd planned to demonstrate all gets forgotten and I'm a blabbering idiot. Oh well, it can't be all bad - I did succeed in getting this job, having walked out of the interview wanting to crawl under the nearest stone. Best piece of feedback I got was that although my knowledge was lacking in certain areas I mangaged to think on my feet and come up with something plausible! I think that's another way of saying I somehow managed to blag it!

I don't know if I'll be going for any other jobs as I quite like the one I've got but this has kick-started me into doing an audit of my skills and a major re-vamp of my CV. So at least I'll be prepared if that dream opportunity comes my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment