Saturday, 23 July 2011

Thing 6 Don't you just hate technology sometimes!

Grrrr... Just spent ages updating the blog on Thing 6 Online Networking only to find it crashed and didn't save any of it!!! So here goes again.

Facebook - been using it for long time now but keep it for social contacts rather than work ones. Really useful for keeping up to date with friends and family ( and a sneaky peak at what wayward teenager daughter is up to! - yes, she foolishly invited me to be a friend). Prefer to keep work and family/social life separate and this isn't easy to do on Facebook. There's the whole debate too as to whether students want lecturers and librarians intruding on their Facebook space. So far we haven't gone down that route in our library.

LinkedIn - have signed up to this as a way of raising my online profile professionally and finding links to people and groups that would be useful. First time I came across it was in a Google search for an old school friend and it worked! Tracked down my friend via her sister who was on LinkedIn. Not sure how useful it'll be for me yet. but this seems to be more suited to professional use than Facebook. Interesting to see that the more things I've signed up to the more overlaps there are between groups and people - keep seeing a lot of the same people.

LAT network didn't realise I'd already signed up to this last year! I think the reason I'd not kept track of it was that there didn't seem to be much activity on it but hopefully more people will sign up as a result of cpd23 and we'll get a fresh wave of interest.

Looking forward to seeing Google+ when I can get an invite. Looks like this may be better than Facebook for networking with work colleagues as there's more control over groups and privacy.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (gotta love spelling/grammar errors) Comment-take 2

    Have had some technology stumbling blocks this week too...so I picked up the needles and yarn to blow off a little tension. lol..

    I'm a public school librarian in the US. Like you, try to keep social/professional separate but have noticed the overlaps quite a bit. Learning to manage that will be key. It's okay that my friends see my professional side (and some of my friends are my colleagues too), even if they skip over it as totally not interesting. How much of my social side do I want professional colleagues to see and how easy will it be to filter? Those are the million dollar questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you'd like to drop me an email (alice(dot)tyrell at gmail.com) and let me know what address to send it it, I think I can send you a G+ invite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Miss Alice. email on its way to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also like to keep personal-professional separate on Facebook. I think it's good to have at least one network where you don't have to worry about how you are presented.

    ReplyDelete